Monday, November 1, 2010

Oh My Gourd!

For the fifth year running, I sought to consume as many pumpkin edibles as possible between Sept. 15 and Halloween. My total this year was 40 different items, busting my 2008 record by a whopping ten items! Considering that there are only 47 days in the pumpkin challenge, I must have slacked off 7 days.

This year I cooked more than any other year, sifting through my stack of untested pumpkin recipes given to me by past years' MVPPs (Most Valuable Pumpkin Provider). Of these, I was most impressed with the pumpkin mole sauce (though not heavy in pumpkin flavor) and the pumpkin cinnamon rolls. I was least impressed with the wontons and the soups. If anyone cares to share, I need a recipe for a good soup that has textural diversity but doesn't have its pumpkin flavor overwhelmed by other ingredients.

To make all these recipes I purchased 8 large cans of pureed pumpkin (232 oz). Luckily the stores have not run out since that quantity has been used up!

Here's the list:
vegan pumpkin cookie, pumpkin doughnut, pumpkin chocolate swirl brownies, ginger pumpkin soup, pumpkin ginger rice pudding, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin ice cream (various sources), pumpkin pie, Culver's pumpkin pecan custard, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin fudge, Rick Bayliss' pumpkin mole sauce on chicken, dark chocolate covered pumpkin seeds, pumpkin muffin, pumpkin bagel, pumpkin schmear, pumpkin hummus, curry pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread pudding, pumpkin seed granola, Paciugo's Pumpkin Pie gelato, pumpkin risotto with bacon and spinach, pumpkin layer cake with chocolate icing, chocolate chip pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting, black bean pumpkin soup, chipotle pumpkin salsa, savory pumpkin wontons, pumpkin cinnamon buns, pumpkin cream cheese roll (like a jelly roll), Thai pumpkin custard, pumpkin-topped cream puff, pumpkin chocolate truffle, pumpkin milkshake, pumpkin butter, savory pumpkin quiche, pumpkin cheesecake ice cream, pumpkin chili, pumpkin gingerbread pie, Beard Papa's pumpkin eclair, pumpkin keifer

italics indicate items that I made myself


Next time: The best frozen pumpkin desserts in Chicago!

1 comment:

Isobel said...

Just made a pumkin soup with a home grown Kabocha pumkin. Green and warty on the outside and intense orange on the inside. When pureed it becomes velvety. I cooked it with veg broth a bit of cream and milk and pureed. Then I made a special mixture of fresh Tarragon, chopped rosemary and thyme, sauteed in almond oil or butter, yello onion, garlic bits, and pea sized bits of Matesuke mushroom (special expensive Uwajumaya shroom) but any mushroom would do. Or sage would also be nice. I served the hot pureed soup with a couple tablespoons of mixture, a few croutons, a drizzle of cream and a drizzle of apple cider syrup (like Maple syrup). Some apple chunks would work too. You get the idea. Made with canned pumkin? I don't know... well, try it. I usually make a curry pumkin soup but wanted something different. - Isobel