Sunday, June 17, 2018

Chicago's Best Sweets #21-25

 

This week we explore the Top 25 Sweets in Chicago. (Jump to #16-20, #11-15, #6-10, #1-5.)
• • •

21.) Cheese and Honey gelato from Frio Gelato 
This Evanston store opened a second location just south of the Music Box. Most people are lining up outside of Jeni's, but you can beat the crowds with this local option's Argentine ice cream. Don't know what that means? The Cheese and Honey flavor is the place to start.

22.) Cherry pie from First Slice Pie Cafe 
I've blogged about First Slice before, naming its Blueberry Cheesecake as the standout dish. And it is one of the standouts. But time has made me realize how irreplaceable a slice of their cherry pie is. More fresh, tart cherries; less gelatinous sauce.

23.) Strawberry Milk Shake at Allende
Not a milkshake in the sense most people would expect, this thin drink contains no ice cream. Indeed, it is milk, sugar and the flavor of choice. And I'm here to tell you the flavor of choice should always be strawberry. I treat myself to one anytime I go to Victory Gardens' Biograph Theatre or to my favorite music venue in town, Lincoln Hall.

24.) Mango Italian ice at Miko’s Italian Ice
Decisions are tough at Miko's. I could just as easily have named their blueberry or coconut Italian ice as my top pick. But mango is perhaps the perfect Italian ice flavor: sweet with a slight tang, meaty but it goes down smooth. Only open during the summer season. Stop by anytime you pass Damen on the 606.

25.) Coconut bao at Wow Bao
This local chain (from Lettuce Entertain You) is my main go-to for fast-casual when I'm in the Loop. It's a nice, inexpensive local option amongst the chains. But don't skip dessert: warm coconut custard in a doughy bao.

1 comment:

Online Bandhu said...

All desserts you mentioned are very delicious and I love enjoying those. Some desserts are here also...
Best Desserts In Chicago